Posted by: gmontealegre | April 20, 2013

“We got him”

Friday, April 19, 2013 – Dzhokhar Tsarnaev,19, was apprehended Friday night at approximately 8:45 p.m. hiding in a boat that had been parked in a Watertown resident’s backyard.


The manhunt for the 19-year-old Boston bomber ended almost five days after he and his brother, Tamerlan, 26, placed backpacks filled with explosives near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

The resident who discovered him said he went outside to check on his boat and get some fresh air.

According to police, he noticed blood near his boat and saw that the tarp covering the boat had been moved.

He alerted police and after a brief gun exchange Tsarnaev was arrested.

The city of Boston erupted into cheers.  People flooded the streets chanting “USA,USA.”

Incredulous friends, family and the parents of the two could not believe what led their sons to carry out such horrific acts.  In Russia,where the father lives, he insisted his sons were innocent.

Dzhokhar Tsarnev was described as a normal-acting kid.  His friends described him as calm and passive person.

But police said he was  Twitting up until a day ago as if nothing had happened.

Sean Collier

Soon after the Tsarnaev was arrested, the Mayor of Boston, Tom Menino tweeted, “We got him.”

For now, police  say Tsarnaev is hospitalized at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston and police expect to talk to him as soon as possible.

What led to their discovery? Police said the brothers were caught on surveillance tapes at the site of the Marathon and some of the injured recognized them.

Their trail was picked up after they killed MIT campus police officer Sean Collier, 26. The police found Collier slumped in his car from gun shots to the head but did not say why Officer Collier was targeted.

The brothers then carjacked a car, leaving the driver at the scene and sped off.  Police were alerted and gave chase thru the streets of Watertown.  The brothers were not giving up and instead were throwing grenades and explosives out their windows at the police.

Their car was finally cornered and in a 20-minute gunfire exchange, Tamerlan, was severely injured and later died at Beth Israel Hospital from his wounds. In that exchange, authorities say police officer Richard H. Donohue was injured.

Dzohokhar fled the scene in the middle of this exchange and was able to hide for almost 18 hours until his discovery at about 7:30 p.m. Friday night.

He was placed in custody at about 8:45 p.m.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: